Monday, November 22, 2010

What type of wedding are you having?

Gone are the days, it seems, where people are content with something simple.

The definition of simple has stayed the same (free from vanity, ostentation or display; innocent or modest) and does not mean ugly or cheap.

So, why do many brides, venues and event planners continue to go for a "Platinum Wedding" or try to do a David Tutera style wedding, all the while turning into a "Bridezilla"? I understand there is tradition and many girls dream of the day where they get to be a princess and walk down the aisle to their very own prince charming. That's understandable and love is in the air, but the majority of the population is not royalty so why should we spend money like we are.

It is very possible to have a beautiful wedding with all your family and friends for under a years salary. Heck, it's possible to have an amazing party-of-the-year type of wedding for under $10,000.

Sometimes it is the simple beauty of a place that is enough. Why cover up walls with drapes and lights just because the wall paper of color doesn't match with your wedding colors? Let the walls stand for themselves and tell the story of your venue!

On top of that, nobody, not even royalty, need 5' tall centerpieces. I would go for something where your guests can actually see and talk to each other across the table over dinner.

Enough of the rant, I just see it as a little insane to spend so much money on a wedding. Yes, it is a very special once in a lifetime event, and I hope that many happily married couples can look back on their wedding after 10 years and say, "Man, we had a great time and I love you even more than I did then."

But, I think that even if I had been married outside a trash dump in freezing rain and no one showed up, I would still look back on that day and at my wonderful husband and say how much I love him and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Besides, even if you do want that super fancy dance hall, why not be adventurous and take a Friday wedding with a discounted price! :)

I hope you all are well and have a very happy and thankful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment